Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Up to this point

I just want to update everyone on how we are so far! It has been almost 3 months since AJ has been home and a little over 3 months since Alivia has been home from the hospital. They were 10 weeks early, born January 30th 2008 but were not supposed to be here until April 4th. Alivia spent 4 weeks in the NICU and AJ spent 6 weeks in the NICU. This was a very difficult time for myself and our family, but with prayers we made it through the tough times. Raising twins is the most difficult thing Chris and I have done. I think teaching 1st grade is much easier. In the beginning there was no sleep to be had!! Very sleep deprived.

After four months it is getting a little better, each day gets just a bit easier. We went to our doctor on Friday and Alivia weighs 10lbs 3oz and AJ weighs 9lbs 6oz. They are really growing from Alivia being 3 lbs 13oz and AJ being an even 3lbs. I am very thankful that I was able to stay home with them during this time. For a quick update: AJ has reflux and spits up all the time. Sometimes it is worse than others, but in the beginning it was across the room. And for about 3 weeks we were feeding him every 2 hours!!! So he is on some medicine that helps control the spit up, he is also still on his cardiac apnea monitor. While in the hospital he would somtimes forget to breath and his heart rate would drop below 80 bpm which is very scary! So when it was time to come home they told me I could stay in the hospital until he grows out of it or I could take him home on a moniter. Chris and I thought long and hard about this option, I really wanted both of the babies home together, it was getting very hard to travel up to the hospital and leave Alivia, so we chose to take him home on the monitor. It has not gone off in about 3 weeks so we are ready for that thing to go! Alivia is doing great all she really wants to do is eat and sleep and sometimes be a little social. No complaints about that sweet girl. They are both smiling and cooing and a little bit of laughing.

For those of you that don't know since they are preemies we have to adjust their age even though they were born on 1-30 we have to adjust to my actual due date with them. Developmentally they are only 2 months old. So right now they can only be expected to do what a 2 month old baby does right now. They will be caught up developmentally by the age of 2.

For the past few weeks or more I have been staying with my parents during the week and Chris comes over after work and we eat dinner or go out and eat, feed the babies and then he leaves to go home around 10. Without the help of my parents I really would not have made it through all of this. Even in the beginning they were at the hospital every day with me by my side through the most difficult time in my life. They have been my ROCK! Nothing I can do will ever repay them for what they have done for my family. I have an amazing circle of friends and family, I am very lucky! My sister has been amazing through all of this right by my side all of the time even while raising her son Preston (who was born 12 days after the twins) he is so precious! She has been a great help just by listening to me and giving me advice, she is truly my best friend!!! So as of today we are doing awesome

No comments: